“Men-o-pause” may be a funny play on words but it’s no laughing matter to millions of women. When hot flashes, mood swings and memory changes are affecting your life, you want help fast. But where can you find it when the “newest” science says the old science is wrong? Below are suggestions to help ease the discomfort of symptoms of meopause.
- Quit smoking
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Daily exercise will help relieve stress, improve moods, and improve insulin function. Participate in a regular balanced exercise program that includes wearing a pedometer to ensure that you collect steps and move more. High intensity short bursts (20-60 seconds) of activity during the day is recommended to enhance growth hormone release. Also engage in resistance training that works all major muscle groups (work each group at least 2 times a week).
- Practice good sleep habits and get between 8-9 hours of sleep a night.
- Reduce stress levels and avoid extra obligations.
- Eat lean, clean quality protein at each meal to stabilize blood sugar levels. Cold water fish is ideal.
- Avoid sugar, refined carbohydrates, hydrogenated vegetable oils and trans fats.
- Replace sugar with the polyol sugar xylitol or stevia.
- Foods that contain phytoestrogens are helpful for ridding hot flashes. Examples of these foods are ground flax seeds, nuts, whole grains, apples, fennel, celery, parsley and alfalfa.
- It is important to consume adequate amounts of antioxidants which can be obtained daily through 5-9 servings of vegetables and fruit (fruit must be limited to 1-2 per day due to sugar content).
In Good Health Maria Dello is a medical nutritionist and is located at 75 Plandome Road in Manhasset. is dedicated to her passionate goal of teaching, guiding, and educating every individual who walks in her door or visits her website about the benefits of a salubrious lifestyle and diet. Maria’s proven combination of the most curative, nutritional advice and the latest state-of-the-art technologies coupled with the one-on-one support and daily guidance in her Manhasset office, makes her one of the gems of Manhasset’s North Shore. Testimonials by many of her clients reveal that Maria targets and helps men, women, and children with weight loss tactics, longevity through simple diet changes, and heart-healthy alternatives for healthier living. Many North Shore doctors have recommended Maria to their patients with successful results.
Maria manages to fit sophisticated speaking engagements at local fundraisers and clubs into her monthly agenda. Finally, Maria writes an informative weekly nutritional column comprised of the latest research on health and nutrition for many local Long Island newspaper. Maria’s winning methods convey simple changes in a complex, fast-paced world that any person can easily adapt to in his/her busy life. Maria Dello will transform you into the best version of yourself. Visit: www.Dellonutritionals.com for more information