More than 26 million Americans-one in nine adults-have kidney diseases. Millions more are at increased risk for getting it, and most don’t even know it. Chronic Kidney Disease includes conditions that damage your kidneys and decrease their ability to keep you healthy. Chronic Kidney Disease can lead to high blood pressure, anemia (low blood count), weak bones, poor nutritional health and nerve damage. Also kidney disease increases your risk of having heart and blood vessel disease. Early detection and treatment can often keep Chronic Kidney Disease from getting worse. Below is some information to enhance the well being of your kidney function and some Superfoods to keep your kidneys running smoothly.
FUNCTION OF KIDNEYS: The kidneys excrete and reabsorb water and inorganic electrolytes in order to regulate the bodily fluids, mineral composition, and acidity in the body. This process aids in balancing these substances and maintaining normal concentrations in the extracellular fluid. Bodily fluid volumes regulated by the kidneys are related to blood pressure and blood volume in the arteries.
THE IMPORTANCE OF WATER: Without sufficient hydration your kidneys cannot function correctly. Alcohol also has a major dehydrating effect and contains ingredients which stimulate acid production which your kidneys cannot cope with. Additionally, other foods high in purines can do this as well.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF KIDNEY DISEASE:
- Sleep Problems
- Swelling of the Feet and Ankles
- Decreased Mental Sharpness
- Fatigue and Weakness
- Loss of Appetite
- Decreased Urine Output
- Muscle Cramps
- Heart Disease • Smoking
- High Cholesterol
- Age 65 and older
- Urinalysis is a test that checks to see if there is any protein or blood cells in the urine. These components are not usually found in the urine, so high levels can mean kidney disease.
- Measuring the protein-to-creatinine ratio is the most accurate way to measure protein in the urine.
- Testing the albumin-to-creatinine ratio is advised for people at increased risks for kidney disease, including those suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure, or have a family history of these diseases.
- RED BELL PEPPERS are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6, folic acid and fiber. They also contain lycopene, an antioxidant that protects against certain cancers.
- CABBAGE contains numerous chemical compounds that fight against cancer and break up free radicals before they can do damage. High in vitamin K, vitamin C and fiber, it is also a good source of vitamin B6 and folic acid. Its low cost and low potassium make it an affordable addition to the kidney diet.
- CAULIFLOWER is a good source of folate, fiber and vitamin C. It is also packed full of in compounds which help the liver neutralize toxic substances that could damage cell membranes and DNA.
- GARLIC helps prevent plaque from forming on your teeth, while also lowering cholesterol.
- ONIONS are rich in flavonoids and powerful antioxidants that work to reduce heart disease and protect against many cancers. They are low in potassium and a good source of chromium, a mineral that helps metabolize carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
- APPLES reduce cholesterol, prevent constipation, protect against heart disease and reduce the risk of cancer. High in fiber and anti-inflammatory compounds, an apple a day may really keep the doctor away.
- CRANBERRIES are known to help protect against cancer and heart disease. They also prevent bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall, thus protecting against bladder infections.
- BLUEBERRIES are rich in antioxidants and are full of nutritious natural compounds that reduce inflammation. They are a good source of vitamin C, manganese and fiber.
- RASPBERRIES contain phytonutrients that help neutralize free radicals and prevent cell damage. They are an excellent source of manganese, vitamin C, fiber, folate, and vitamin B. Raspberries are known to inhibit cancer cell growth and the formation of tumors.
- STRAWBERRIES are rich in phenols and powerful antioxidants. Known to provide heart protection and fight against cancer, they are an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese and fiber.
- SUPPLEMENTATION B-vitamins, vitamin C and magnesium have been shown to prevent kidney stones. (Ask your doctor before taking).
In conjunction with our physicians at Urology Associates of Manhasset, you can now visit our nutritionist. Combine the best of nutrition with the latest in cutting-edge technology, necessary support, and guidance to achieve your optimal health. Below are some insightful facts that we can practice on a daily basis for your personal best kidney health. For further information on optimal kidney health and preventing kidney stones, visit our experts at www.Dellonutritionals.com and www.urologyassociatespc.com.
Maria Dello is dedicated to her passionate goal of teaching, guiding, and educating every individual who walks in her door or visits her website about the benefits of a salubrious lifestyle and diet. Maria’s proven combination of the most curative, nutritional advice and the latest state-of-the-art technologies coupled with the one-on-one support and daily guidance in her Manhasset office makes her one of the gems of Manhasset’s North Shore. Testimonials by many of her clients reveal that Maria helps men, women and children by utilizing meticulous weight loss tactics, simple diet changes to promote longevity, and heart healthy alternatives for healthy living. Many North Shore doctors have recommended Maria to their patients with successful results. Maria manages to fit sophisticated speaking engagements at local fundraisers and clubs into her monthly agenda. Finally, Maria writes an informative weekly nutritional column comprised of the latest research on health and nutrition for many local Long Island newspapers. Maria’s winning methods convey simple changes in a complex, fast-paced world that any person can easily adapt to in his/her busy life. Maria Dello will transform you into the best version of yourself.